Welcome to the City of Georgetown, Illinois!
Located ten miles south of Danville, Illinois, Georgetown was settled by Quakers from Tennessee during the early nineteenth century. Originally surveyed (with a grapevine for measurement and the North Star for direction) by James Haworth, Georgetown was chartered in 1827 with only two streets. In 1873, Georgetown, named after Haworth's son was incorporated.
From 1890 to 1920, Georgetown grew from 600 residents to 4,000 residents. The coal mining industry provided the impetus for this expansion. Immigrants from Czechoslovakia, Lithuania, Poland, and others in Central and Eastern Europe settled in the Georgetown area. Today, Georgetown continues to be a culturally diverse area having much to offer its citizens.
With a current population of more than 3,400 people, Georgetown is looking toward the twenty first century with enthusiasm. Based upon a strong network of organizations, public services, and economic opportunities, Georgetown utilizes its resources to meet the needs of residents. These resources include a full time police department, ambulance service, fire protection, full postal services, banking facilities, and many others. In addition, the city is at the forefront of technology in the county. It is one of the first cities in the county to have a web site, and its school district is one of the most connected school districts in the county as well. Georgetown offers an excellent mix of small town living with large city services and entrepreneurial opportunities -- the best of both worlds.